Saturday, July 26, 2008

The careful art of trashing other people's weddings

First, I guess I want to throw out there that there are a lot of things that make me vomit. Dancing with your Dad to the song Butterfly Kisses. Making your bridemaids all wear the same shoes and pairing them up with groomsmen by height. Tiaras. Brides and grooms singing songs to each other during the wedding ceremony (especially "Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong"). Flowergirl dresses that match the bride.

But you know what? Who the hell cares what I think? You certainly shouldn't. If you've always wanted to sport a rocking tiara - please, wear one and get down with your bad self!!!

The reason I bring this up is because I sometimes find myself censoring a bit about what I want or don't want in my wedding based on who I'm talking to. My wedding planner's daughter just got married and I find myself being careful of what I say because I don't want to offend her inadvertently. It's also strange how worked up people get over wedding etiquette. I run a message board and some of our nastiest spats have been over things like dollar dances and wedding registries. I guess I don't understand why people get so emotionally invested in some of these things. If you get a wedding invitation with eight registry cards enclosed with it and you're offended, don't go to the wedding. If you had a dollar dance at your wedding and other people think they're tacky, who cares? I once had someone tell me that if you were going to offer alcohol at your reception, you had to have a full bar or it was tacky. You know what? I thought to myself "I'm so glad we're not friends and you're not coming to my wedding!"

No comments: